Thursday, October 06, 2005

Amex Championship Update!!

Wednesday Practice Day:

Well my quest to find John Daly on Wednesday was a failure. I just missed him coming off the green on 18. It's Ok, because we followed him on quite a few holes on Thursday.

I did manage to catch some other great golfers practice however. Davis Love, Ben Crane, Stewart Cink and Sean O'Hare got some quality practice time in together. And I was there to capture the Love... Davis Love that is:

IMG_3267
Davis Love III


I also caught up with Phil Mickelson who was practicing with David Toms. Stuart Appleby was by himself in front of them until hole 10, where they were kind enough to let him join them:

IMG_3317
David Toms, Phil Mickelson, Stuart Appleby


I also observed Sergio, since I picked him in my pool. He was hitting the ball pretty solid and so far he's turned out to be a good pick. Vijay hit a huge drive on #1 and was about 60 yds out. I've hit a 'huge' drive on #1 before, and i was 150 yds out.

Finally, I've been watching the Big Break IV, USA vs. Europe. I like this show because its kind of like a mix between Survivor and the Surreal Life. These guys haven't quite made it to the pga tour ranks, but you gotta hand it to them, they're working their butts off for very little, and the pressure of the show can only help them with their professional careers. So anyways, I saw Eduardo from the show. He was caddying for Angle Cabrera. I wanted to ask him who won, but he was quite busy fixing Angel's divots and doing caddy things. I'd like to see him win, he seems like a good guy.. or TJ.

IMG_3310
Eduardo (right) from the Big Break IV




Thursday, First Round Action

I've come to the conclusion that golf is the only sport where the fans get more exercise than the athletes. Myself and some friends were all over the place today following different groups. We watched Tiger, Phil, Daly, Vijay, Couples, etc. and went back and forth, hole to hole. It was really fun though. There are some great holes to watch some of the action, like from the tee on 11, where you can see the approach on 10 also.

Of course it was a beautiful day again, and the crowds were big. But not too bad. And the course was showing a little more of its teeth. They definitely had the pins tucked in tight, and the rough was getting the best of many.

My pick so far is Tiger. He just looks comfortable on the course. As long as his putter behaves, he's got it wrapped up.. I don't think Monty will hang thru Sunday.

I'm taking the day off from the tournament tomorrow to relax and do some work. I'll be back Saturday for another report.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home